Registering As A Non-EU Student


When the “Pre-enrollment” date of the IMAT is released by MIUR (around April) the first step is to go to your local consulate/embassy.

You are considered an EU student if you have lived in Italy or an EU country with a residence permit for at least 1 year.

If you’re a non-eu candidate living in your own country, you go to the Italian embassy/consulate in your country.

If you’re a non-eu candidate residing in a different country than your original one you must go to the embassy in that country. If for example you’re an American citizen currently residing in Russia, you would go to the Italian embassy located in Russia.


The embassy will tell you what documents and papers to prepare. The paperwork and requirements are different from country to country, but some documents are common.

DECLARATION OF VALUE (DoV): (more detailed article will be released soon!)

Proof that you have 12 years of education and are eligible to apply to an Italian university. It is issued by the consulate of the country the institution is based in.

Some examples :

  • One: I live in Tunisia, went to school in a Tunisian school, so obtained a Tunisian high school diploma; I have to get my DoV at the Italian consulate in Tunisia regardless of where I reside now.
  • Two: I studied IB in Sweden; my DoV has to be issued by an Italian consulate in Switzerland as that is where the IB head offices are.
  • Three: I’m Pakistani, going to an Indian School in Qatar; In order to get my DoV I have to go to the Italian consulate in India.

Form A:
Form_A – Click to download a copy
You need to fill out this form with your first choice university and sign it. If you don’t know how to fill it out, just ask the person who is handling your case in the embassy and they will help you fill it in.

Pictures of you

Copy of passport

But again asking your embassy is the best way to know exactly what documents you need to provide in order to complete your pre-enrollment. (Most embassies request Italian translated documents)

Important: The universities do not require English or Italian language proficiency tests, but a consulate may require them so you should ask them (for the student visa).


  1. You have to make an Universitaly account :
  2. The ministry announces the date for the registration of IMAT
  3. You register for the IMAT through the universItaly account and pay online (GBP 105.00, EUR 120.00, USD 164.00).
  4. You can select one of the 20 test centers , however if you wish to sit the exam in Italy, you must do so in your first choice

You will receive two emails:
You will receive one of the emails to the email address you filled out when you created your Universitaly account.

You will receive the second email to the email address you are told to fill in when you paid for the IMAT (email of the card holder)


Each test centre has its own specifications including what time you are required to be present. For example:

  1. Some centres (Turin, Bari) asked people to be there 2 and a half hours before the exam
  2. Qatar test centre asked to be there 1 hour before the exam

So please be aware of that and check your centre specifications; some people weren’t allowed into the exam because they showed up after the time requested.

You must bring the following documents/items with you on the day of the test:

  1. Both of the confirmation emails that you received during the registration and payment process.
  2. A photographic form of identification. (It must be the one you used when registering within Universitaly account)
  3. Black pens. (Some center give you black pens so even if you bring them you will be told to put it in your bag but better have them then not)


The question paper and answers are published on the MIUR website in advance of results being released. Candidates have five days to submit ‘item challenges’ from the date these are published.

Results are normally available within approximately FOUR weeks of the test date. MIUR release results on their website. For details, please refer to :

Before the official rankings (with names) are released on certain days other events happen regarding results.

Around two weeks after the exam the anonymous results are published on the universitaly website. The anonymous ranking is a list of ALL results of every test taker. However the there is no way to know what your results is as there are no names, only codes. The anonymous list is also not ordered by score.

Three weeks after the exam you will get your personal scores on the reserved area on the Universitaly website. You will see a breakdown of your score and how you did on each section.

Around 4 weeks after the exam, the official ranking is now out. If you’re an EU candidate the ranking will be published within the reserved area on Universitaly. If you are a non-EU candidate the ranking is published by the universities; you have to check with your first choice university as they will publish their own ranking.


After the results are out, your first choice university will send you an email informing you that you have passed; you will then need to follow their instructions. The process will change from university to university but usually they will ask you to scan certain documents (mostly passport/Dov, but they can ask for other papers however that’s what pre-enrollment is for; helping you have all of your documents ready so you can enrol faster and complete your visa application) you pay the fees and that’s it you will be enrolled in the university.

You will then go to apply for your student visa at your embassy/consulate while keeping your university updated on the process. It’s recommended that even after you pay your fees you contact them and inform them, that in order to get your visa you will need a period of time. The universities are quite understanding about Non-Eu applicants and the time frames required for visa applications granting additional time. (Unlike EU candidates who have to be at the University within 3-4 days after being offered a seat)